Featured in JEP’s Expert Panel – 6th June 2018
Under the new GDPR / Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018, you get enhanced rights in relation to the control and permitted use of your personal data. These are summarised as the right to
(1) be informed,
(2) of access to your data,
(3) to rectify any errors in your personal data,
(4) to restrict the use of your data
(5) to object to receiving direct marketing information and use of your data under legitimate interest lawful bases
(6) right to the erasure of your data (in certain circumstances)
(7) to data transfer or portability of your data where consent or contract lawful bases is used
(8) not to be subjected to any decisions based on automated decisions making or profiling by computer systems.
These rights are subject to certain other laws e.g. law enforcement by police authorities and lawful actions by public authorities.
The Jersey Data Protection Commissioner’s office has begun to publish useful infographic guides to assist people in getting a greater understanding of these rights and how to exercise them. You can see these guides when you visit www.oicjersey.org/data-protection-new-law/, under “Resources” and “Infographic – Your Information Rights Series”.